Sunday 19 April 2020

The Witching Hour #6

Why I bought this random issue of The Witching Hour, I have no idea. It doesn’t have a particularly memorable cover (though it is by Nick Cardy!), and I was never much of a fan of the done-in-one mystery format; reading it now, the stories are as slight as you might imagine, but there’s some nice art from Alex Toth on the framing sequence, and some very strong art from Don Heck on the lead story about a concentration camp survivor. The other two stories are drawn by Jose Delbo (much more to my liking here than on his later Wonder Woman run), and John Celardo. There’s also a one page text story by one Gerald Conway (that’ll be the more familiar Gerry Conway, I presume).

From the price sticker on the cover, I’m pretty sure this comic came from Heroes (or Fantasy Unlimited), on Canonbury Lane. The shop was owned by Alan Austin, and was my favourite comic shop in the late 70s/early 80s as it was within spitting distance of both home and school. I have fond memories of walking home from here during the autumn months, scrunching through the leaves clutching a paper bag full of treasures.


Bee-Boy awarded this comic 2 stings

No comments:

Post a Comment