Friday 10 April 2020

Action Comics #384


As I didn’t start buying comics until 1972, this 1970 issue of Action Comics must have come my way sometime between ’76 and ’77 (when I first discovered comic shops) and the early 1980s (when I left London for college, and didn’t have access to - or the money for- back issues).

I am almost certain that I bought it for the Legion of Super-Heroes back-up story, and not for the very odd Cary Bates and Curt Swan Superman lead story (it involves ‘haunted’ uniforms, one good and one bad, and isn’t very good). The LSH story, however, is a corker. Written by Jim Shooter and drawn by Win Mortimer, it’s a tale of selfless sacrifice in the Legion tradition, as Eltro Gand, Mon-El’s distant descendant, gives up his life force to revive Mon after he succumbs to his tragic fate as foreseen by Dream Girl. Everything you want from a tightly plotted Legion short, with some excellent characterisation.


Bee-Boy awarded this comic 3 stings out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment